If you have selected the Auto-Archiving (Journaling) method of archiving, you need to create a journaling mailbox on your mail server. Journaling is a feature that enables the recording of email in an organization. Through the journaling feature, your mail server can channel the items to archive into a single mailbox. GFI Archiver connects to the mail server and retrieves the items for archiving from the journaling mailbox.
In GFI Archiver, a journaling mailbox can be created automatically if the mail server used is Microsoft Exchange. For more information, refer to Creating a Journaling Mailbox on Microsoft Exchange via the Post Install Wizard.
If using another mail server, the journaling mailbox needs to be created manually on the mail server. Once the journaling mailbox has been created, GFI Archiver needs to connect to it to start archiving.
To manually create a journaling mailbox on a Microsoft Exchange server, refer to the following instructions:
- Manually set up a journal mailbox for Microsoft Exchange Server 2007
- Manually set up a journal mailbox for Microsoft Exchange Server 2010
- Manually set up a journal mailbox for Microsoft Exchange Server 2013
- Manually set up a journal mailbox for Microsoft Exchange Server 2016
- Setting up Journaling Mailbox for Archiver with Microsoft 365
- If journaling is not set up correctly, Auto-archiving (journaling) method of archiving will NOT work.
- Ensure to follow the steps relating to the Microsoft Exchange version, which is installed.
- If multiple Microsoft Exchange mailbox stores exist, ensure to enable journaling for all of them.