Emails exported to MSG format while only having CDO/MAPI installed are showing incorrect characters.
In the initial case behind this known issue, a Czech customer found some inconsistencies when comparing emails downloaded as EML vs. MSG. The customer has only CDO/MAPI installed, but no Outlook. The MSG file contained some incorrect characters. For example:
- The EML showed the correct word "Příliš" where the MSG showed "Přílią" instead.
- The EML showed the correct word "Tomáš" where the MSG showed "Tomáą" instead.
NOTE: MailArchiver uses MAPI to convert the EML to MSG.
Outlook has more features and seems to handle this situation better than CDO/MAPI. In this particular situation, the same email converted OK when running older versions of MailArchiver, e.g., 20130510 did not produce an MSG with incorrect characters while only having CDI/MAPI installed.
Steps to identify the issue:
- Collect the EML and MSG from the customer and compare them.
- Archive the EML into a test installation running a build listed under "Environment" on which only CDO/MAPI is installed (make sure Outlook is not installed).
- Download the email as MSG and confirm that it appears "corrupted".
- Archive the EML into a test installation running an older version (e.g., build 20130510) on which only CDO/MAPI is installed (make sure Outlook is not installed).
- Download the email as MSG and confirm that it appears "OK".
Upgrade to MARC2015 build 20141117 or apply the patch 20141110_2718.