AnswerIMPORTANT: Installing the Archive Assistant on a terminal server / Citrix server is currently not supported from the Archive Assistant installer.
PROBLEMThe Archive Assistant cannot be installed on a terminal server or Citrix server. When a user tries to install the Archive Assistant, the following error is shown:
The system administrator has set policies to prevent this installation
- GFI Archiver
- Trying to install the Archive Assistant on a terminal server or Citrix server
SOLUTIONThe Archive Assistant can be registered manually. This can be tied together in logon scripts for automation in general.
- To register the Archive Assistant manually the following steps need to be performed from a high level view.
- Setup a group policy object (GPO) in Microsoft Active Directory to configure the GFI Archiver URL used by the Archive Assistant
- Perform a clean installation the Archive Assistant on a regular workstation
- It is important to keep the bitness of Microsoft Outlook used in mind here. For example, if the target systems run a 32bit Microsoft Outlook use a regular workstation with the same bitness for this step.
- Collect installation files from the clean installation
- Installation folder: %appdata%\GFI\MailArchiverAddon\
- Copy the installation files to the target user profile on the target machine
- Download the following file:
- GFI Archiver 2015 and 2015 SR1: http://ftp.gfisoftware.com/support/MARC/ScriptsAndTools/2015/ARC2015_ADXRegistrator.zip
- GFI MailArchiver 2014: http://ftp.gfisoftware.com/support/MARC/ScriptsAndTools/2014/MARC2014_ADXRegistrator.zip
- GFI MailArchiver 2013: http://ftp.gfisoftware.com/support/MARC/ScriptsAndTools/2013/MARC2013_ADXRegistrator.zip
- Extract it, then run the executable on the target machines
- adxregistrator.exe /install="MArc.Outlook.Addon.dll" /privileges=user
- Steps 4 - 6 can be automated in a logon scripts in general, but how this can be done is not outlined in this article.
- In case uninstallation is required, the following command needs to be run:
- adxregistrator.exe /uninstall="MArc.Outlook.Addon.dll" /privileges=user