The following steps guide you to use a 3rd party email account as a Journaling Mailbox in Microsoft 365 (previously known as Microsoft Office 365). As a result of this action, all emails exchanged between your users will be forwarded to this mailbox.
Before carrying out the following configuration, ensure you have created a new email account with a third-party provider such as outlook.com. In our example, we have created a user called
- Microsoft 365 Exchange Admin role with Organization Management permissions.
- Log in to Microsoft 365 Exchange admin center.
- Go to Recipients > Contact.
- On the Contacts page, click on Add a contact option.
- On the Add contact page, select Contact type as Mail contact and fill the rest of the details as per your mailbox's details. The fields marked with an asterisk (*) are mandatory.
- Click on the Add button at the bottom of the page.
You should be able to see the newly created contact under Recipients > Contact. section of the Microsoft 365 Exchange admin center.