This tool re-evaluates ownership of emails which are already archived into Archive Stores and adds owners to an email if any are found to be missing. This re-evaluation is based on the email's sender and recipients.
- ExternalSenderA sent an email to two users: InternalUserX and InternalUserY.
- When Archiver processed this email, it only assigned ownership to InternalUserX, but not to InternalUserY (may it be due to incorrectly configured Archive Restrictions, incorrect data in Active Directory.
- Once the root cause is which lead to the missing ownership is addressed, this tool can be used to assign ownership to InternalUserY regarding this email.
- This tool requires that the user object's in Active Directory have all historical email addresses set correctly (e.g., if a user's email address changed from email@example.com to firstname.lastname@example.org at some point in time it is vital that both email addresses are set within the user's Active Directory object).
- This tool takes the Archive Restrictions list (included/excluded users) into account.
- This tool can be run against a single or multiple Archive Stores.
- It is best to ensure that no Archive Store is set to "read-only" before using the tool.
- Once the RestoreOwners tool is successfully completed, a re-index of the affected stores would be needed to ensure accurate search results.
It is recommended to take a backup of the system, including data (Archive Stores) before using this tool/script. This tool/script should be used ONLY on installations running the following versions:
- GFI Archiver 12.0+: 20151222 onwards - this tool works from version 12.0 to later versions (such as 14.x and 15.x), since it still uses the same Database Schema.
- GFI Archiver 2015 SR1: 20150218
- GFI Archiver 2015: 20141117
- GFI MailArchiver 2014: 20140616
Procedure to Install
- Download the tool/script (see above).
- Read the readme.txt which is bundled with ZIP file for usage instructions.