This article provides the steps to remove the key for the Archiver installation when you are unable to uninstall or upgrade Archiver and get the following error:
Error 1714 The older version of Archiver cannot be removed.
There is corruption in the Windows registry that is preventing the removal of the previous version of Archiver.
- Create a backup of the system including the registry.
- Open the Registry Editor (navigate to Start > Run > type
- Navigate to
- Find the key for the GFI Archiver (or GFI MailArchiver) installation:
Note: The exact key varies depending on the version installed.
- Once you locate the correct folder, delete it.
- Run the installation for the new version.
You can uninstall or reinstall GFI Archiver successfully.