This article describes the features of Archiver, which require Microsoft Outlook or CDO/MAPI (Microsoft Exchange Server MAPI Client and Collaboration Data Objects).
Certain functionalities when using Archiver require MAPI protocols to function. As such, there are two ways to provide the protocols on the machine running the tools. Installing Microsoft Outlook is advisable for any instances where you will be dealing with .pst files. Alternatively, if Outlook is not an option, the Microsoft Exchange Server MAPI Client and Collaboration Data Objects can be installed instead to provide the functionality required for the tools to function.
NOTE: Never install both (CDO/MAPI and Microsoft Outlook) on the same computer. This can cause MAPI to malfunction and problems for GFI Archiver. To address such a situation, uninstall Microsoft Outlook and CDO/MAPI, reboot the server, reinstall one of them.
The following section provides information regarding which features require Microsoft Outlook or CDO/MAPI.
Import Export Tool
- Importing items from PST files into GFI Archiver (requires Microsoft Outlook).
- Importing items from Microsoft Exchange mailboxes using MAPI (requires Microsoft Outlook or CDO/MAPI).
- Exporting items from GFI Archiver into PST files (requires Microsoft Outlook).
- Exporting items from GFI Archiver into MSG files (requires Microsoft Outlook or CDO/MAPI).
Mailbox Restore Tool
- Exporting items from GFI Archiver into a PST file (requires Microsoft Outlook).
- Exporting items from GFI Archiver into a Microsoft Exchange mailbox (requires Microsoft Outlook or CDO/MAPI).
Note: If exporting to Microsoft Exchange 2013 on a separate host, CDO/MAPI is required (Microsoft Outlook does not fulfill the requirement in this scenario).
Mailbox Folder Structure Retrieval
- In case, the GFI Archiver is not available on the same machine as Microsoft Exchange, Microsoft Outlook or Microsoft Exchange Server MAPI Client and Collaboration Data Objects (MAPI/CDO) need to be installed.
- Web page > Archive tab > Message view
- Download items in MSG format from GFI Archiver (requires Microsoft Outlook or CDO/MAPI).
Supported Microsoft Outlook Versions
The following Microsoft Outlook versions are supported when running a 64-bit version of Microsoft Outlook on GFI MailArchiver 2014 build 20140616 or newer:
- Microsoft Outlook 2013
- Microsoft Outlook 2010
- Microsoft Outlook 2007
- Microsoft Outlook 2003
To ensure Microsoft Outlook runs smoothly with GFI Archiver, follow the guidelines stated below to enable MAPI:
Note: This procedure requires editing the files manually. If edited incorrectly, it can leave the server in a non-operational state. Please keep backups of any file which is edited throughout this article before saving any changes to them.
- Stop all GFI Archiver services.
- Open the folder
- Open the file product.config in Notepad.
- Add the following line within the <appSettings> section:
<add key="UseMAPIUtility_x64" value="true"/>
- Save the file.
- Start all the GFI Archiver services.
Note: When upgrading to a newer version of GFI Archiver, installation files mentioned in this procedure will be overwritten with default versions making the changes void and ineffective. It is therefore suggested to keep a record of this procedure and follow it once again directly after upgrading to keep this functionality intact.
- Installing Microsoft Outlook makes use of most of the mentioned features whereby CDO/MAPI only makes use of some of them. Microsoft Outlook contains its MAPI, which is more feature-rich.
- Ensure the Microsoft Outlook service packs and patches are kept fully up-to-date.
- If a 32-bit version of Microsoft Outlook or CDO/MAPI is installed, ensure to use the 32-bit versions of the Import-Export Tool and the Mailbox Restore tool.
- If a 64-bit version of Microsoft Outlook is installed, ensure to use the 64-bit versions of the Import-Export Tool and the Mailbox Restore tool.
- Support for 64-bit Microsoft Outlook versions for the mentioned features was introduced with GFI MailArchiver 2013 R2.
- Microsoft Outlook 64-bit is not supported for the Mailbox Folder Structure Retrieval feature when used in Microsoft Exchange 2003 environments with MAPI.
- The GFI MailArchiver 2013 SR1 or older only supports the 32-bit versions of Microsoft Outlook for the mentioned features.
- Never install Microsoft Outlook or CDO/MAPI on a Microsoft Exchange 2003 server. Microsoft Exchange 2003 contains its version of CDO/MAPI.
- Microsoft Outlook or CDO/MAPI can be installed on Microsoft Exchange 2007, 2010, or 2013.
- Download the latest version of CDO/MAPI.
- The Import Export Tool can be run from another computer than the GFI Archiver server.