This article describes how to enable Forms-Based Authentication in Archiver. Forms-based authentication is typically used when users connect to Archiver outside of your local domain, such as the Internet.
The Authentication Tool is only available from MailArchiver 2013 or newer.
By default, Archiver uses windows based authentication when authenticating users. Archiver also supports forms-based authentication. Use the following procedure to switch from windows based authentication to forms based authentication:
Authentication Tool (recommended)
- Run the tool: ..\InstallationFolder\Tools\ChangeAuthentication\GFIChangeAuthenticationTool.exe
- It will show the currently configured mode and allow to switch to the other.
Note: This procedure requires to edit files manually. If edited incorrectly it can leave the server in a non-operational state. Please keep backups of any file which is edited throughout this article before saving any changes to them.
- Open the following file in Notepad: ..\InstallationFolder\ASPNET\UI\web.config
- Change <add key="AuthenticationMode" value="Windows"/> to
<add key="AuthenticationMode" value="Forms"/>
- Change <authentication mode="Windows"/> to
- Save the file.
- You might need to close/reopen or clear the cookies your browser after switching the authentication mode.
Note: When upgrading to a newer version of GFI Archiver, installation files mentioned in this procedure will be overwritten with default versions making the changes void and ineffective. It is therefore suggested to keep a record of this procedure and follow it once again directly after upgrading to keep this functionality intact.