When a sender from outside your organization sends an email that includes a read-receipt request, an automatic response is sent out from the server as soon as GFI Archiver collects the email from the journal mailbox for archiving purposes.
This response informs the sender that the message was deleted before it was read. You can follow the solution in this article to remove the headers from emails received by the journaling mailbox when it is hosted on Microsoft 365 (previously known as Microsoft Office 365) so the sender doesn't assume that their message was deleted without being read. Please note that this transport rule only works for external senders.
- Microsoft 365 Exchange Admin role with at least Records Management permissions.
- Log in to Microsoft 365 Exchange admin center.
- Go to Mail flow > Rules.
- On the Rules page, click on the + sign and select Create a new rule....
- On the new rule pop-up window, click on the More Options.
- Configure the rule with the following options:
- Name: Remove read request header for journaling mailbox
- *Apply this rule if...: Select The recipient... > is this person, and pick the journaling mailbox.
- *Do the following...: Select Modify the message properties... > remove a message header.
- Enter Disposition-Notification-To in the next window and click on OK.
- Click on the Save button.
After successfully configuring the rule, you should see it on the Rules page in the Exchange admin center.